[e2e] a remark

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue Jul 29 04:10:50 PDT 2014

The precise analogy for buffer bloat in operating systems is
"thrashing". Hence, a process' sojourn time in a system is spend mostly
by swapping in or swapping out its pages. So the question is the same:
How to we avoid thrashing in operating systems? In case of memory leaks,
I have a look at the output of "top" and I feel free to issue a "kill
-9" to the "one weird process" - as long as I'm able to do so. However,
better ideas exist ;-)

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937