[e2e] Deflating excessive buffers

Sergey Gorinsky sergey.gorinsky at imdea.org
Mon Oct 27 06:17:04 PDT 2014

   Dear Fred,

   While the loose language is certainly unfortunate, the conflation
arises for a reason: with loss-driven transmission control in end systems
and FIFO queue management with tail drop of packets upon router buffer
overflow, large buffers mean long queues.

   My group proposed a simple architectural solution for deeper queues on
occasion. RD (Rate-Delay) network services partition the router buffer
into R (Rate) and D (Delay) queues: the D queue guarantees short queuing
for delay-sensitive applications, and the R queue offers higher throughput
for throughput-sensitive applications; Podlesny and Gorinsky, "Leveraging
the Rate-Delay Trade-off for Service Differentiation in Multi-Provider
Networks", JSAC, May 2011,
http://fourier.networks.imdea.org/~sergey_gorinsky/pdf/JSAC_Leveraging_Rate
-Delay.pdf .

   Best regards,