[e2e] RED vs DropTail using NS2

Tom Henderson tomh at tomh.org
Sun Jan 4 07:48:30 PST 2015

On 01/02/2015 10:31 PM, anjali chawla wrote:
> Hi
> i want to prove that RED is better than DropTail using NS2. i have followed
> "Random Early Detection Gateways for Congestion Avoidance,1993 " paper
> also. For showing RED solves global synchronization problem,bias againt
> bursty traffic,
> i tried a lot using tcl script making different scenarios. But no useful
> results at all.
> In my case packet loss is more in RED than  DropTail.
>   somenone please help

If you haven't already, please have a look at this page
http://www.icir.org/floyd/red.html

and in particular:
http://www.icir.org/floyd/red.html#ns

The technical report posted there was performed with ns-1, but the tests
were later ported to ns-2, and I just gave it a try and was able to
reproduce the plots from Figures 1-5 (with only small differences in the
output) by running the same commands documented in the report on ns-2.

- Tom