[e2e] Regarding use of Reed-Solomon code in wireless networks

Debarshi Sanyal debarshisanyal at gmail.com
Tue May 5 23:14:09 PDT 2015

Hi,

We were working on design of wormhole detection methods in MANETs.
To achieve detection, we propose to measure the time taken for a test nonce
to move from one node to it's neighbor node. If the time taken is larger
than the expected time for a packet to travel between two neighbor nodes,
the link is probably a wormhole link.

Now to combat channel errors, is it worth encoding the nonce with
Reed-Solomon code?

Our understanding is that propagation time between neighbor nodes in
commodity wi-fi setups is much smaller than the time taken to encode and
decode a nonce (say, 64 bytes long). So delay variations in encode/decode
process will easily mask any delay in propagation time.

We would be immensely thankful if you could throw some light on this since
we do not have access to hardware platforms to get real measurements. We
are interested to know the approximate encode and decode times for RS code
on common hardware platforms.

Regards,
Debarshi Kumar Sanyal
KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, India