[e2e] Regarding use of Reed-Solomon code in wireless networks

Debarshi Sanyal debarshisanyal at gmail.com
Wed May 6 06:02:15 PDT 2015

Hi Detlef, Khaled,

Thanks for sharing your views.

For the detection mechanism to work, retransmission must be explicitly
switched off (as retransmitting same nonce gives advantage to the wormhole
attacker).

One way to avoid actually measuring the delay is to stipulate that the
response nonce from the receiver must come back after a SIFS delay as it
happens for any ACK frame in IEEE 802.11. This is possible if minimal
processing is involved at the receiver node.

If the response doesn't come back after SIFS, the receiver is probably far
away and is likely to be connected by a wormhole to this sender. That way,
we should be able to flag at least long wormholes.

Do you think the above heuristic will work in real networks?

Now if the nonces are encoded with RS code, is it still possible for the
receiver to decode the nonce, process it, encode it back with RS code and
transmit it after a SIFS delay from the time of reception?

Thank you in advance for your valuable comments.

Regards,
Debarshi Kumar Sanyal
KIIT University, Bhubaneswar