[e2e] TCP in outer space

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Apr 10 09:41:57 PDT 2001

I have to admit, regarding Fred's comments, that I have been appalled for
years at the poor design of applications protocols like SMTP and HTTP in
regards to latency.  Many people have complained about the fact that these
protocols speak in a loose, ascii oriented terminal-based language.  IMHO,
the problem isn't the ascii, but the number of unnecessary synchronous
handshakes involved.  SMTP should have been designed so that it can
efficiently batch any number of messages without pausing. HTTP is better,
but again, it should have been pipelined so that any number of outstanding
requests could be placed to a server, and the responses delivered
asynchronously at full speed (then if parsing an incoming page triggers
another fetch, it would queue it while the first is still arriving).

Perhaps we need to include in CS 101 the ideas about timing and pipelining
that applications programmers need to understand?