[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Apr 27 22:06:08 PDT 2001

Vernon, I think we are having "furious agreement" - I never said that PPP
done well was a problem, but PPP done poorly is the more common case that
people trying out VoIP see.

My point to Fred was that "people complaining about VoIP sound quality" was
a poor metric to measure network QoS if experiments are not controlled for
all the sound-quality-related problems that are endemic in the source and
destination machines and access links (down through the end-point PPP
stacks on typical commercial OS's like the Windows you hate).

I once tried (for grins) to tune another programmer's VoIP "telephone" app
running over a local 100 Mb/s network between two Windows 98 machines on
400 MHz pentiums.  There was *huge* latency and jitter, but it wasn't in
the network - most of it was in the sound drivers and codecs.  I reduced
jitter and end-to-end delay by a factor of 100 by writing new windows
drivers and some interrupt level kludges.  But you'd never make a shippable
product that way.

- David