[e2e] Call : software tools for networking column [IEEE Network magazine]

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 13 16:34:00 PDT 2001

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From Olivier.Bonaventure at info.fundp.ac.be  Mon Aug 13 05:00:54 2001
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:00:50 +0200
From: Olivier Bonaventure <Olivier.Bonaventure at info.fundp.ac.be>
To: braden at ISI.EDU
Subject: Call : software tools for networking column [IEEE Network magazine]

Dear Bob,

Could you please forward this call to the end2end mailing list
if you believe that it is appropriate.

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure

---
http://www.infonet.fundp.ac.be

Software tools for networking

Any research activity today relies heavily on specific
equipment or tools. In the Networking community, most
of the tools are software tools. These tools are crucial
for both the research and the operational activities
in our community. Despite this, it is sometimes difficult
to locate the appropriate tool for a given project.
Although some tools are widely used and known, most of
the tools we use have been described in the literature and
are often difficult to find. Often, very useful tools are
hidden on a web page or described only in a technical report
or a chapter of a Ph.D. thesis. For this reason, we often
develop tools that are already available elsewhere.

The objective of this new regular column of IEEE Network Magazine
is to present in a brief format, new software tools that could be
useful for the readers of the magazine. The emphasis of the column
will be on tools that are freely available on the Internet. The
tool distribution should at least contain a documentation and
installation instructions.

This new column will consider tools such as :

- network simulation and emulation
- network design and planning
- traffic generation and capture
- prototype protocol implementations
- network management
- network visualization
- active networks and agents
- network security
- ...

If you have developed a software tool that could be useful for the readers
of IEEE Network magazine, please send a brief description (up to 300 words)
of your tool by email in ASCII format to Olivier.Bonaventure at info.fundp.ac.be
The description should be sent by the main author of the tool and
be as free of hype and self promotion as possible. The description should
focus on the technical capabilities of the tool and should also contain
the following information :

- URL of the web site of the tool
- availability of source code
- availability of technical support
- hardware and software (operating systems, libraries, ...) requirements

The appropriate tools will be selected and the description will be copy-edited
and checked with the freely available version of the tool. The column
will be published in the magazine and archived on the IEEE Network Magazine
Interactive web site  ( http://www.comsoc.org/ni ) with pointers to
the web sites of the described software tools. More information
on the magazine itself are available from http://www.comsoc.org/ni

----- End Included Message -----