[e2e] Re: [Tsvwg] Really End-to-end or CRC vs everything else ?

vince_cavanna at agilent.com vince_cavanna at agilent.com
Thu Jun 7 11:40:10 PDT 2001

Jonathan and others,

Would a "keyed CRC32" instead of "keyed MD5" be appropriate for the purpose
of preventing unauthorized tampering of the protected packet by middle
boxes? A CRC is much further from being a one-way hash function than the
MD5, but once keyed, by including the shared secret in the data protected by
the CRC, it may be good enough to discourage tampering by middle boxes. The
benefit, of course, is that computing the CRC32 digest is much easier than
computing an MD5 digest. To foil such protection, Middle boxes would need
to, first, discover the shared secret and, second, remember the shared
secret - for each connection. Since, as David Reed has pointed out, middle
boxes do not store per-connection state, the second step alone may be a
large enough obstacle to render adequate the communication of the shared
"secret" in the clear and thus avoid the use of a secure key-exchange
protocol.

Vince