[e2e] traffic engineering considered harmful

Ben Black ben at layer8.net
Thu Jun 14 17:01:21 PDT 2001

Perhaps this is naive, but why not have the natural traffic aggregation
points (read: servers) collect the performance data?  Trying to have
end points collect and disseminate the information seems nightmarish.

Hosts wishing to learn the best path to a given destination would have
to either carry full BGP tables, be able to query an entity with full
BGP tables, or trust an intermediary (as Randy mentioned).

And once again we revisit good ideas and continue using the old ones
instead.

Ben