[e2e] disintermediation?

Lynne muse at alum.calberkeley.org
Fri Oct 12 14:38:09 PDT 2001

You're talking about publishing. An ISP is not responsible for the content of the data as long as they do not edit the data. If they edit the data, they become a publisher, subject to a different set of laws and rules. Contracts with providers of information and publishers are specifically designed to deal with issues such as liability in these cases.

A transport provider simply gets the bits from one place to another. They do not edit the contents of that data. If the contents of the data is "edited" in-transit by the ISP, that's called an "error". :-)

Disintermediation is a business development term, and implies the ability to get in front of another business proposition and steal that business proposition. One breaks one intermediation to supply another, hence the term.

One common example with websites is that someone in an affiliate model will offer a service. If the service succeeds in stealing the customer onto the new site, the affiliate is said to have stolen the customer and disintermediated the prior relationship. Co-branded pages that remain on the original site prevent disintermediation.

Lynne Jolitz