[e2e] Transparent subnets with Proxy Arp

Eric Goldman eric23 at softhome.net
Thu Sep 6 14:30:40 PDT 2001

Bob,

Thank you for your response and sorry for the terseness.

Broadly speaking, my initial question was "given that
MAC-based bridging is now much more prevalent than
RFC 1027-type bridging, is there an inherent deficiency
in the latter?".

The text from RFC 1127 below seems to have a specific
phenomenon in mind, but it's not clear to me what that is.
Does it mean that expiry on entry from  the cache will
cause a new ARP exchange and additional latency which
then affects TCP RTO?  Or is there something more "subtle"
than that?

Regards,

- Eric