[e2e] traffic dispersion and blocking probality

Curtis Villamizar curtis at workhorse.fictitious.org
Mon Apr 1 21:38:17 PST 2002

In message <3CA91265.640A506D at cad.zju.edu.cn>, Jing Shen writes:

> --------------07CE3198798986E47D8DE456
>
> 1.The network speed  of current day is so high that there will be a lot of
> traffic buffered in network before
>   TCP react to congestion. That is,  TCP/UDP send with full rate to the other
>  end
> but  congestion happens
>   at some node along the path,  although the receiver can send notice to send
> er
> but all traffic of a connection
>   may have been on its way.  This cost much of network resource. I think  We
> should try to find way to enable high speed transmission
>   while keeping congestion possibility low.

This is not really an issue.  If congenstion occurs with lots of
connections that are relatively small compared to the bottleneck
bandwidth but with a small percentage of higher bandwidth contributors
RED works quite well.

> 2. There has been times  some part of network is congested but adjacent part
> idled,  surely we can direct traffic to
>    idled part  because we've obversed  most network traffic is best-effort, a
> nd
> such migration increase the utilizion of network resource ,
>    lower ISPs  cost , give more place to QoS flows.

This is the whole purpose of traffic engineering using MPLS.  Using
the traditional means, the costs of links used for the CSPF is
modified at the ingress based on the available reservable bandwidths.
Avici calls this "metric biasing" (and holds no proprietary interest
in use of the term) but if anyone knows of a better term (that also
isn't proprietary) I'd prefer to use it.  There is no need to signal
differences in cost and standardization of algorithms is not needed
since there is no possibility of looping.

Perhpas the most significant shortcoming of current practice is that
the bandwidth reservations are based on predictions of LSP loads based
on historic measurements typically on a weekly timescale.  Events
external to a netork can have a considerable effect on the accuracy of
these predictions plus the collection and processing of the historical
data is an operational headache (a minor one).

Those using LDP and wanting traffic engineering use LDP running inside
MPLS/TE (RSVP/TE signaled) tunnels.

> 3. For overprivisioning in current networks,   it has been used widely and in
> China the utilization of bandwidth is kept below 60%.
>     As curtis mentioned ISPs need to know how traffic is routed.  I don't thi
> nk
> these demandings conflict with multipath routing , because we can set
>    up serval LSPs( staticly or dynamicly) between pairs of network nodes and
> disperse  traffic adaptively.  Of course, this is on the basis of MPLS.

Overbooking and overprovisioning are somewhat opposites.  In
overbooking, you allow reservations to be made for more than 100%
utilization, but using techniques such as the metric biasing described
above to spread the load.

If you don't use metric biasing and allow 100% utilization, you can
get one link with 100% and two with an avergae of 40% each rather than
three with 60%.  If you limit reservations to 60%, then failure of a
link would cause unacceptable long term outage of LSPs rather than a
transient condition, followed by two 90% utilized links.

If you allow 120% utilizations, its OK if the initial response to a
failure is to put 120% on one link and 60% on the other followed by a
period in which LSPs are moved over quickly until you are closer to
85% and 95% and then move over more slowly until eventually you have
two links at 90% until the third link becomes available again.

In the above case with 60% normal utilization you are overprovisioned
and by allowing 120% utilization (intended to be used transient only)
then you'd be making use of overbooking.  If you allowed 200%
utilization (more substantial overbooking) you'd be in better shape if
you lost two link.  Though quite congested and a bit slow most things
would work fine (real time services without QoS being the notable
exception).

Some implementations don't do a very good job of metric biasing and
adaptivity prompting ISPs to make more limited use (in some cases
none) of overbooking.  That's unfortunate.

> What I want to know is,  if an incoming traffic flow is to  be given  a path
> (lable) from availbale path set , how could  it be the one with least congest
> ion
> possibility?

The large ISPs feel that they have a solution in the current
constraint based routing approach and find the use of historical data
to set reservation amounts to be a headache but prefer this approach,
at least for now.

> For OMP, some one has implemented it on Linux , see
> http://www.ittc.ku.edu/research/thesis/balasubramanian_ramachandran.pdf  for
> his
> presentation.

Thanks.  I didn't know about that.

What would be more interesting would be an implementation and
deployment in a provider backbone where there is a very high number of
traffic pairs.

The Linux implementation might be of interest (for the purpose of
deployment rather than as a academic exercise) to low bandwidth
networks with some diversity in the topology in places where bandwidth
is very expensive relative to the Linux PCs to make better use of it.
I personally don't know of any that fit this description.

If there is interest in MPLS-OMP from a large network, it would be
great to have a good reason to implement it in a carrier class router.
So far that hasn't occurred.  Maybe in time.  I'm hopeful since I'd
like to do it (I'm at Avici, who makes carrier class routers).

> Jing Shen

A little less grumpy this time.  :-)

Regards,

Curtis