[e2e] TCP out-of Order

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Jan 22 07:35:22 PST 2002

At 03:07 AM 1/22/2002, kalyan uppalapati wrote:
>1) why TCP behaves so badly, when we use multipath network with a small
>delay difference in one link ?? the throghput drops gradually.

In your simulations, it would be good to tag the various things that happen
to cwnd in the sender, and analyze them.

Everything in TCP is conceptually handled in a certain order, and when
there is one routing path, that order is mostly obeyed. The places where it
is not obeyed generally result from losses, and cwnd is managed to minimize
losses in these cases. However, when traffic from a single session is
sprayed over multiple paths with varying delay, some of those events happen
and are the result of differing routing. When cwnd is reduced to affect
congestion and is in fact a result of something else, the result is as you
describe.