[e2e] TCP out of order

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Jan 22 12:10:15 PST 2002

At 11:43 AM 1/22/2002, Dennis Ferguson wrote:
>I'm not positive but I think a smaller packet can be generated consistently
>when the sender fills the receive window and the receive window is not
>an even multiple of the MSS.

this is classic with silly window syndrome, and there are specific
mechanisms in TCP implementations to avoid that. In short, TCP doesn't send
partial segments unless triggered in some way, such as no longer having
anything outstanding (Nagle's algorithm) or getting an API "push" event.

But that said, these events do indeed happen, and reordering happens in
such cases.