[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Ext-Rafael.M.Sanchez at nokia.com Ext-Rafael.M.Sanchez at nokia.com
Thu Oct 10 08:26:33 PDT 2002

  Hi,

  I'm quite new in this list and it is the first time I actively participate, so hope I'm not asking too trivial things ;-).

 Basically, I'm curious on this issue because I wonder wether there is a clear benefit in using 4 paralel connections (or 2) when HTTP 1.1 with persistent connections and pipelining is used. Do common browsers ( Netscape / Explorer ) implement pipelining ? As far as I understood in RFC 2616, pipelining is optional for the client, but mandatory for the Server ( is that right ?).

  For HTTP 1.0, there is a big impact, and 4 paralel connections made more sense. But maybe HTTP 1.0 is not so widely used nowadays ...

  Thanks and Kind regards,

  Rafa