[e2e] common congestion controller for TCP connections

Hari Balakrishnan hari at nms.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Oct 29 11:23:24 PST 2002

> >>In both cases, information can be shared among a set of sequential or
> >>concurrent connections, and in both cases the aggregation and timescale
> >>(per packet, at connection start, etc.) of sharing is determined by
> >>policy, not the architecture. CM allows non-TCP applications to benefit
> >>from TCP-'like' congestion control; TCBI is simpler to use from the
> >>application.
> >

> > Joe,
> >
> > I don't believe the second part of the last sentence above.  When TCP is
> > implemented over CM and shares congestion information between a group of (TCP)
> > flows all in the same macroflow (terminology from RFC 3124), then the
> > application does not even see it.  CM applications can benefit from the CM API
> > if they choose to, or ignore it if they don't.  TCP can be implemented over CM
> > and apps are oblivious to it.
>
> How does the macroflow get setup? Last time I saw it it required system
> calls. If you're assuming that TCP is just rewritten to use the CM
> rather than direct output, then they should be identical from the
> application.

No, the CM API calls are not syscalls when used by TCP.  They can be (and are)
made by the TCP.

> > I don't see why "TCBI is simpler to use..."
>
> Perhaps equivalent from the application's perspective, if nonstandard
> syscalls can be avoided.
>
> However, still simpler to implement things that play with TCB variables.
> You can start with a BSD (or even, gasp, non BSD) stack and just
> manipulate the TCB variables. There's a lot less additional mechanism to
> deal with, either to port, or to remove as an artifact of an experiment.
>
> Joe

Joe,

When we wrote our TCP (under Linux; non-BSD!) that decoupled congestion control
from it and only left the loss recovery in it, the end result was a
substantially simpler, easier-to-understand TCP and stack.  Modularity helps in
this case quite a bit.

When you're dealing with something as complex as a TCP, I would be wary of
schemes that claim to be simpler because they only "play with TCB variables".
As we all know, even a "small" change in a TCP can have unintended, adverse
interactions and consequences.

Hari