[e2e] Is a control theoretic approach sound?

John T. Wen wen at cat.rpi.edu
Mon Aug 4 08:43:42 PDT 2003

David:

I'm not sure that you need a "control theorist" to answer that question.  My
sense is that packet-level dynamics involve modeling the behavior down to
each packet, so only integral number of packets may be considered and finite
state machine and queuing theory are  the relevant tool.  Flow dynamics is
an approximation in an average sense (# of packet/unit time) and the integer
requirement of # of packet is ignored.  The relevant models are differential
or difference equations, and stability theory and control theory are the
relevant analysis tools.

John