[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

Hari Balakrishnan hari at lcs.mit.edu
Fri Aug 8 17:42:50 PDT 2003

> Search engines and the Web came from non-Arpa work. In fact, after the
> initial burst of apps work in the early 70s, I believe there were no
> successful, new applications that came out of the Darpa community.
>
> So, Darpa did the packet-related work and one or two of the core
> applications. But taken on their own, they are not sufficient for the
> phenomenon most folks think of, when they say "Internet".

Dave,

If by "DARPA community" you mean researchers funded by DARPA, I would
strongly disagree with your comments.  Off the top of my head, I can
think of several counterexamples.

The Inktomi search engine from Berkeley, which became HotBot, was done
in part under DARPA funding.  Research at Stanford on the digital
library project, which led to the Google search engine, was funded in
part by DARPA.

The World Wide Web Consortium's efforts have been funded in part by
DARPA over the past several years.

A lot of the MBone applications in the 1990s were funded in part by
DARPA.  These collaborative applications, and other similar research
efforts, have heavily influenced today's streaming media products.  Over
the past 10 years, more than a handful of startups have come out of
research on these topics, research that was funded by DARPA.

More recently, along with NSF, DARPA funding has played a key role in
several overlay-based and peer-to-peer infrastructures and services,
including (but not limited to) those based on distributed hash tables.

Hari