[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Aug 8 22:37:12 PDT 2003

Right, and worse, DARPA didn't even coordinate well the results of research it
did fund.  Without Bob Kahn's extreme dedication, even some of the base
Internet work would've been discontinued.

Oh, and the windows UI metaphor (based partly on Englebart's work) was funded
by Xerox internally, just as was Ethernet, international networking (XNS), the
workstation, SmallTalk, font building/printing, color printing, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

What you've raised re today's Internet Illiterati is what anthropologists have
long observed in some societies -- cultural attrition.  Forget the past and
not even be able to reinvent part of it when you need to.

Alex