[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Aug 9 06:37:18 PDT 2003

    > From: Cannara <cannara at attglobal.net>

    > Well, there was really nothing relating the Arpanet gang and the folks,
    > like Englebart, who invented mice, hypertext and collaborative computer
    > workgroups

I'm not quite sure of how the mental parenthesizing here went (perhaps you
meant the "relating" to refer between all the above and the stuff just below),
but Licklider definitely saw a relationship between the ARPAnet stuff and
Englebart's stuff, while he was at ARPA and funded them.

    > and the foundation of corporate, local networks, workstations, shared
    > server-based printing and other behaviors in the '70s at Xerox. It's
    > particularly funny that any link would be attempted, since the Arpanet
    > and all the protocols mentioned were limited to a byte orientation
    > because of what the phone co (AT&T) did in Unix and how the Internet
    > began as a terminal-to-host system.

I'm completely unable to comprehend, through all the numerous errors, what the
point is here. The ARPAnet was *not* byte-oriented, and all the original Xerox
protocols (PUP, etc) were! Did you mean that they didn't have the semantics
for higher-level objects? And since Unix was very much a side-line item when
TCP was developed (I remember, I was *there*, as were several other people on
this list), you can't blame Unix for the byte (or low-level, if that's what
you really meant) orientation of TCP.

Sheesh. Talk about the illerati not knowing our history - it seems like a lot
of *us* don't know our own history.

	Noel