[e2e] IP options inserted in transit

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Sun Aug 10 06:21:00 PDT 2003

On Sunday, Aug 10, 2003, at 01:35 America/Montreal, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> Silicon could do that for as long as the network was there... it's
> simply
> a matter of price and amount of resources you want to spend on it.  It
> is
> also possible to build a router or network with any given performance
> with
> today's (or, for that matter, 20 year-old) silicon - again, it is
> merely a
> matter of resources.
>
> So, what is really needed is cost/benefit analysis, not some absolute
> statements.

	OK, I'll put it a different way.  Switch/router products that
are commercially available (and economically viable) can insert,
modify, or remove IP options at line rate today.  Not all products
can do this, but some certainly can.

	Being commercially available is a plausible first order
approximation for having a reasonable cost/benefit ratio, IMHO.

Ran