[e2e] evolution of bandwidth as a term

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Oct 3 08:08:44 PDT 2003

In a side conversation about a more subtle ambiguity, a list reader
reminded me that there are two interpretations of the word "bit" that we
tend to use.   One kind of bit is a symbol which has two states
(conventionally called 0 and 1).   Another is a unit of information (or
negentropy) that can measure the information content of a system
state.   So, in fact, "bits per second" can be used to measure quite
different things.   For example, CNN delivers multiple megabits/second in
the first interpretation, and <10 bits/second in the second interpretation
(if you watch it all day every day, how many bits of new information will
have been delivered to your brain in each second?)

So knowing the unit does not tell you what is being measured.   Both
interpretations are denominated in bits/second, just as axle rotation rates
and bandwidth are denominated in Hz.