[e2e] Bandwidth Estimation workshop

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Oct 3 10:55:31 PDT 2003

David P. Reed wrote:

> I proposed frequespan to replace the frequency meaning of bandwidth,
> knowing that it was an ugly word and someone would probably come up with
> a better one.
>
> I wouldn't be unhappy with these:
>
>     bandspread (since "spread spectrum" and "spreading" are in use
> commonly)
>
> and
>
>     bitrate (though "information rate" and "signalling rate" would break
> down the ambiguity here between bits as information and bits as symbols).

Signalling rate = baud.

Information rate is a function of the semantics of the symbols; in the
absence of that semantics, information rate = bit rate.

Neither the OED nor Webster consider "bitrate" a single word - at least yet.

Perhaps it's sufficient to use a qualifier?

	analog bandwidth
	digital bandwidth

Joe