[e2e] Is this a bug with Windows TCP Stack ?

rick jones perfgeek at mac.com
Mon Dec 6 18:04:32 PST 2004

> What mechanism are you proposing short of telepathy? Remember, the
> other
> end isn't there. Anything which breaks out of the specific TCP session
> is
> an invitation to a DoS threat or worse.

I was thinking of keepalive probes.  Treat retransmissions of the
keepalive probes as if they were retransmissions of data segments and
use the existing R2 timer or whatever to decide when enough is enough.

I will confess to not being quite sure by what you mean by "anything
which breaks of of the specific TCP session" to know if you would
include keepalive probes in that category.

> Reboot has worked since time immemorial.

Did you forget a smiley there?

> There are also well known kdb hacks to force the state over (for SunOS
> at least, but in principle other OS)

Indeed, in HP-UX there is the ndd tcp_discon kludge - neither it, nor
debugger hacks are things one wants to suggest to say a bank.

rick jones
there is no rest for the wicked, yet the virtuous have no pillows