[e2e] How could I know one RTT estimation techniques better than

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Jun 1 07:17:40 PDT 2004

Good points.  I don't think it is wise to decouple the algorithm too much
from its use - it only needs to be accurate when the data is actually used.

There is another point underlying this - the RTT estimator generates
results which are used as a function of the input event time (the sending
of a message expected to be acknowledged, usually).   The measure needs to
become available at about the time the RTO would be used - which is the
time of expected arrival itself.   So there are a finite number of points
when the statistic used to evaluate the RTT estimator must be evaluated -
all other points in time do not exist from the point of view of quality
statistics.

For this reason, decoupling the RTT quality statistic from the actual
packet send/arrival event stream seems to be problematic.