[e2e] Question on TCP throughput and host's access speed

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Oct 14 19:15:33 PDT 2004

Hi,

thanks for all your help.

The bottleneck does not locate with access line but a
link between China Telecom and Verio(Japan). To upload
a file of 5MB, it takes 170seconds(average) for ADSL
while  420seconds(average)  for fiber.

Asymetric route  exists between our site and server in
japan.To our measurement there is no packet loss
between ADSL/Fiber and core router of our ISP, while
point to point delay between our computer and ISP's
core router differs a little (<0.2ms, fiber link is
faster).

But, what makes me confused is : if TCP modifies its
sending window according to ACK received,and
bottleneck link would not distinguish between ADSL
subscribers and Fiber  link subscribers, no matter how
asymetric is routing path or how much difference
between access line,  TCP on both end should behave
similar (?). Why there exist so much difference ?

thanks

Jing Shen

--- Lynne Jolitz <lynne at telemuse.net> µÄÕýÎÄ£º

=====