[e2e]where can i find an ip or host address list?

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Fri Oct 15 09:09:00 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:26:08AM -0400, RJ Atkinson scribed:

> 	You need to get advance permission from the legitimate owner/operator
> of any host you might probe.  To run a probe of someone else's system
> without
> specific advance permission could  violate the law and is certainly
> anti-social
> behaviour.

  IANAL, but court decisions in the US have generally said that
pinging hosts isn't against the law.  Lots of research projects do
this all of the time.  They often generate complaints, however,
and it's best to take several steps to avoid stepping on people's
toes.  I'll send out the list I've compiled once I find it - totally
hosed with the NSDI deadline right now.

> 	I would suggest you reconsider your experiment design and invent a
> different
> experiment design that does not require you to probe so many hosts --
> and ideally
> a way that does not require you to probe any other people's hosts.

The fewer probes to random hosts, the better!  One way to start
with this experiment might be to compare all-pairs ICMP and TCP
pings using Planetlab.  It'll measure a large number of paths (on
the order of a few thousand), and won't generate any complaints.
If you need more detail, The next step would be to compare ICMP and
TCP pings to port 80 on large web servers, which probably don't
care about a little extra ICMP or TCP traffic.

Only after that would I evaluate the need for probing 100,000
random hosts...

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/