[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Apr 1 20:19:26 PST 2005

Actually, David, I wasn't talking about cell phones, but wired lines.
However, I did need to use 911 via a cell some months back, when an idiot kid
was shooting BBs at cars passing near where we live.  He was dumb enough to
shoot at my wife's side of the car as we cruised back past, trying to identify
his house.  So I called 911, which in Calif goes to the CHP.  The CHP called
the Sheriff and within minutes 2 cars were there.  The officers said they'd
give the kid a real scare and put him in one car, while talking about going to
Juvenile Hall.  They then impressed on him the seriousness of what he'd done,
and he also gave up his friend, who had hidden in the garage.  Then the absent
parent returned home in his obligatory SUV to witness how well he'd brought up
his kid.  As the officers explained to all of them the illegality off such
weapons in our county, they also let the twist in the wind a bit wondering if
we'd press charges.  After some time, we let the officers know we wouldn't and
they said they'd make the kids write letters of apology.  They did a good job
of that, cutting short potential lives of crime -- all thanks to a cellphone
and 911.  :]

At some point, laws and trust can and do work together to provide reliable
emergency services.  IP phone isn't there yet.

Alex