[e2e] MTU - IP layer

Loki Jorgenson ljorgenson at apparentnetworks.com
Thu Apr 21 23:57:53 PDT 2005

OK - I've skimmed the latest draft of the RFC and I see better how they
are planning to make this work.  It represents a much more significant
change than I had gleaned from earlier readings.

I'm still wondering about how the loss of these (disposable) probes will
be distinguished from congestion and other forms of loss, how the local
host's record of PMTU will change if the actual PMTU changes (for
example route change), and various other scenarios involving interplay
between loss, TCP and PLPMTUD .... but I'll just finish reading the
current draft and find out how it all turns out.

If others are as curious:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmtud-method-04.txt

In any case, thanks for your insights Joe.