[e2e] TCP Traffic Measurement Studies

Marco Mellia mellia at tlc.polito.it
Sat Dec 24 05:35:16 PST 2005

We looked at that using tstat
http://tstat.tlc.polito.it

Part of the results are available in

M. Mellia, R. Lo Cigno, F. Neri
Measuring IP and TCP behavior on edge nodes with Tstat
Computer Networks, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 1-21, Jan 2005
http://www.tlc-networks.polito.it/mellia/papers/tstat_cn.ps

We esplicitely investigated the ratio bewteen forward and backward data carried
in TCP flows, both considering bytes and packets. The first are strongly
asymmetrical (due to client-server kind of applications), while considering
packet based figures, there is no bias toward any particular directions... due
to the ACK flow in the "backward" path...

Hope this helps.
--
Ciao,                    /\/\/\rco

+-----------------------------------+
| Marco Mellia - Assistant Professor|
| Tel: 39-011-2276-608              |
| Tel: 39-011-564-4173              |
| Cel: 39-340-9674888               |   /"\  .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
| Politecnico di Torino             |   \ /  . ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
| Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24       |    X   .- NO HTML/RTF in e-mail .
| Torino - 10129 - Italy            |   / \  .- NO Word docs in e-mail.
| http://www1.tlc.polito.it/mellia  |        .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or Better." So I installed Linux.