[e2e] 10% packet loss stops TCP flow

Sireen Habib Malik s.malik at tuhh.de
Mon Feb 28 03:22:44 PST 2005

Hi,

Assume X is the time the TCP is allowed to wait to recover from the
fault (RFC1122, TCP Connection Failures, atleast 100seconds).

During this time X, if  Pp does not improve then Pc approaches 0 with T
going higher. It does give the impression that connection has no chance
to recover and finish.

However, if in X time ACKS come (basically Pp improved as fault is
removed) TCP will recover and finish the transmission "some day"!! Seems
then Pc=100%!

I think the more interesting case is that what is the probability that
TCP will tell the application to kill the connection in time X,  if Pp
is the loss probability, etc.....?

regards,
SM

--

Sireen Malik, M.Sc.
PhD. Candidate,

Communication Networks
Hamburg University of  Technology,
FSP 4-06 (room 3008)
Denickestr. 17
21073 Hamburg, Deutschland

Tel: +49 (40) 42-878-3387
Fax: +49 (40) 42-878-2941
E-Mail: s.malik at tuhh.de

--Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler (Albert Einstein)