[e2e] TCP losses

Sireen Habib Malik s.malik at tuhh.de
Mon Feb 28 10:38:02 PST 2005

Fred Baker wrote:

> At 10:54 AM 02/28/05 +0100, Sireen Habib Malik wrote:
>
>> How long does TCP take to decide that its connection has gone to the
>> dogs and that the Application must do something about it? RFC1122
>> (section 4.2.3.5) talks about "atleast" 100seconds. Is this applied
>> practically?
>

> By some, yes, and often not. Practically, a routing outage lasting for
> tens of seconds often results in TCP sessions failing. I'm not sure I
> would peg it to 100 seconds nowadays, but some do seem a little brittle.

Thanks for the input.

>> At this point, i am interested in knowing what breaks TCP outside its
>> own congestion related problems.  What are those failures? How
>> frequently they occur? Any idea of duration?
>

> I would call those "loss-related", not "congestion-related". TCP only
> sees congestion in the form of loss or variation in RTT.

got it.

>> It would be nicer, if the errors relevant for future large
>> bandwidth-delay product IP over DWDM networks be given priority.
>

> I'm not sure I understand that statement. Are you asking responders to
> think about DWDM (because it is interesting to you), or wondering
> whether errors in a DWDM environment should be treated in some special
> way by TCP, or what?

Yes, IP over DWDM is my area of work and am interested in knowing what
issues to consider.

To be more precise, i am simulating optical burst switching networks and
congestion is one of the two thing that I have considered. All the rest
of faults, i am simulating in a very crude manner by disrupting traffic
for a X random time (presently deterministic). This way we can atleast
study the impact of different protection and restoration on the
application layer. I need more data to bring this crude-method closer to
reality.

regards,
SM

--

Sireen Malik, M.Sc.
PhD. Candidate,

Communication Networks
Hamburg University of  Technology,
FSP 4-06 (room 3008)
Denickestr. 17
21073 Hamburg, Deutschland

Tel: +49 (40) 42-878-3387
Fax: +49 (40) 42-878-2941
E-Mail: s.malik at tuhh.de

--Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler (Albert Einstein)