[e2e] RST effect on socket buffers?

Tristan Horn tristan+e2e at ethereal.net
Tue Jan 4 23:35:49 PST 2005

Hi all,

I find myself wrestling with a vendor to get their HTTP proxy's
half-closed connection handling fixed.

One of the issues is that their hardware sends a spurious RST to the
client after a 60 second timeout.  The effect is that any data remaining
in the client TCP's receive buffer appears to vanish; the application is
not able to read it.

My casual reading of RFC 793 suggests that this behavior is expected:
* a connection in e.g. ESTABLISHED state will transition to CLOSED upon
  the receipt of a valid RST,
* "CLOSED" == "non-existent"

The vendor doesn't agree.  I also seem to only be able to replicate the
problem on Windows, not e.g. Linux...

Can anyone shed light on what the expected behavior here is (if any)?

(No need to convince me that the untimely RST itself is broken, BTW -- I
think/hope we've agreed on that point already.)

thanks!

--
Tristan Horn
Sr. Network Engineer