[e2e] overlay over TCP

Randall Stewart randall at stewart.chicago.il.us
Thu Jan 20 02:15:00 PST 2005

Lynne Jolitz wrote:
> A few questions...
>
>>> DCCP will have just about the same deployment difficulties that
>>
>> any other
>>
>>> new transport protocol has to jump through....
>>
>> Even worse for DCCP .. since its further behind SCTP.. and time
>> makes a difference.. let me tell you :-D
>

> Why? What's the rush?
>

>> There is hope.. eventually SCTP will be in all the firewalls and
>> NAT's and then sometime down the road from that you will find DCCP
>> in the boxes too... but in either case it will be some time yet for
>>  SCTP and DCCP has not even gotten that far yet...
>

> Why would either be incoporated into firewalls and NATs? Is there a
> commitment from Cisco or some other big company to back them? What's
> the killer application that makes them pour out money to upgrade
> their firmware and go with either of these?

Hardware is not the problem.. thats been done.. its the software
side that only has one customer asking for it.

And yes Cisco makes money from SCTP. we have at least three
products that I know of that use it.. and soon a fourth
will be added to that list.. all routers that do netflow.

Of course almost all of the apps that are represented
are "inside" the network.. so one really does not
have to have a F/W or NAT in the picture.. at least
thats the argument I have heard so far... and because
of that there has not been a huge customer demand.. yet :-D

> Takes a lot to motivate sales these days, according to the biz guys.
> Think they read RFCs and get all excited, saying "Hey, that's our
> next big product"? :-)

some do, some don't most in the later...

--
Randall Stewart
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222(cell)