[e2e] (no subject)

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 14 14:54:59 PDT 2005

On Sep 14, 2005, at 4:30 PM, Alessandro Vivas wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I dont agree with your message. About yahoo mail  and hotmail
> address isnt true. I live in Brazil and many universities dont have
> have mail accounts for all students. Im a phd student and I use
> gmail account because my university dont provide e-mail account for
> me.. only this. So, please dont use examples with countries like
> when you talk about China.

I shouldn't jump in on this thread, but to try to inject a little bit
of CS:

This is a problem of reputation management between un-introduced
parties on the Internet.  And it's a serious one.  As a well known
networking researcher, Jon is probably subjected to a constant stream
of "random" emails.  \footnote{When I was at MIT, we were subject to
a constant stream of in-person visits from crackpots who believed
they'd broken RSA and wanted to talk to crypto experts, people who'd
figured out the grand unified theory, ... }  As a well known
networking resource, end-to-end is subject to a fairly constant
stream of emails that -- from a high level read of the email -- sound
for all the world like they're asking for the solution to a homework
problem.

I hit delete on an enormous number of threads on e2e, particularly
lately.  How do I decide which threads to actually read?

   a)  The subject line
   b)  Who initiated it and is participating in it

(No, I'm not going to say what features influence deletion or reading).

When an email comes in from random_student at cs.well_known.edu, I have
a few bits of information about them.  They're more likely to be
active in my research area.  They're more likely to have some
background to ensure that their question isn't going to be yet-
another tarpit discussion.

On the other hand, when email comes from
terminator_sex_god at yahoo.com, the bits of information are a little
different. john_q_public at gmail.com gets binned in the intermediate
category:  gmail users are frequently more technically savvy, no
offense intended to Yahoo mail users, but it's still a relatively
anonymous address.  I do know quite a few researchers who use
gmail.com for their primary email, though -- not including the vast
numbers at Google labs. :)

If you want the situation to be better, give me a nice distributed
email reputation system that I can use to rate the "bozo-factor" of
incoming email.  That way I can stop using my often incorrect domain-
based heuristics, and instead look at the mail and see "ahh,
Crowcroft vouches for Foo who vouches for Bar who vouches for
dude at yahoo.com.  Guess I'll read the mail."

I'll let people return to drilling tunnels through the earth,

   -Dave
    (I'm sure I just lost several points on the email credibility
scale for contributing to this thread...)