[e2e] (no subject)

grenville armitage garmitage at swin.edu.au
Wed Sep 14 21:33:57 PDT 2005

Fer cryin' out loud, people.

Reading this list for a few years and being unable to parse Jon's emails
seems mutually exclusive. But let's try, shall we?

Jon wrote:

> but
> an awful lot are those hotmail/yahoo email folks you allude to,
> (I have no idea where they are really from - are they using such
> addresses because they are afraid their university will catch them plagiarising,
> or are they blocked in china?) and they do more harm than good.

So, the context is "those hotmail/yahoo email folks you allude to". Who
is "you"? Llloyd. His preceding line: "I have now left myself open to years and
years of questions from yahoo/hotmail-using students who have trouble stringing
coherent sentences together."   No references to ethnicity or geography so far.

Moving on, Jon's word "(I have no idea where they are really from" suggest a
parenthetical aside that isn't trying to be scientific or complete.

" - are they using such ...plagiarising, or are they blocked in china."

Curiously, the hypothesis preceding "or" should seem entirely reasonable for
_any_ academic whose received the type of emails to which Lloyd and Jon refer.
And that's also entirely independent of ethnicity or geography.

Finally the hypothesis after "or" suggest the use of "such addresses" to bypass
censorship or primary email accounts located within a particular country.
I'm surprised that anyone should be held to task for alluding to a correlation
between censorship and China.

Unless Jon confesses to intending to imply Chinese students plagiarise, I believe
_that_ characterisation of Jon's email is tenuous at best and should be withdrawn.

gja