[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Apr 12 10:13:42 PDT 2006

Fahad Dogar wrote:
> I understand why IP addresses (which are hierarchical in nature) are
> needed but can't seem to appreciate the use of MAC addresses, in
> addition to using IP addresses.

That's for the level of indirection Ted was noting.

> Practically I can understand that they
> are being used for legacy purposes and a move towards using IP
> addresses as layer 2 addresses would require changes in ethernet
> switches etc.

Another reason is that ethernet switches are  simpler to implement than
 (IP) routers. A final one is to limit broadcast; right now, broadcast
pervades (most) ethernet switches, but is halted by IP routers (even
subnet-directed broadcast is defaulted that way). It's not clear how to
allow broadcast to go more than one hop and control flooding (with
all-1's) or defeat DOS attacks (subnet broadcast).

> But I am interested in knowing whether, in theory, we
> would be restricted in functionality if we use IP addresses for layer
> 2 addressing. Suppose we were to redesign layer 2 technologies now,
> can we use IP addresses in place of MAC addresses. With IPv6 I can't
> even see any constraint on the address space.

IPv6 addresses may seem large at first, but given how they're
hierarchically delegated and managed, they're not all that big.

Joe