[e2e] network coding and spam and anonymous email...

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 02:54:03 PDT 2006

so looking at my spamassassing classified mail (quite a large folder
as you can imagine) it is becoming increasing plausible that
one could _code_ legitiamte messages simply as a set of references
to spam - the nice thing about this is that there is so much spam that
it acts as fairly uniform random cover traffic (crowds) and the number
of spam sources compared to legit current email sources is large and
its routing is obfuscated, so you'd get pseudanomity really nicely

the details are quite complex, but I am sure that you can work them
out. a really neat thing is that we are seeing increasing numbers of
apparently meaningful spam and spam with attachments (smap and eggs,
spam and chips), so one could even probably send quite complex
messages with attachments via the spam-channel...

thoughts?

----------------------------->

p.s.

I have the undoubtworthy honour of having been chosen to chair the OO session of
the ACM SIGCOMM Symposium to be held in fabulous Pisa, Italy, this september
http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigcomm/sigcomm2006/

I've noticed that it has been increasingly dificult for North American researchers to travel
(indeed, they don't even have to go south of the border to hear many people speak Spanish), and
even the programme committtee found it easier to meet in the quiet of Seattle rather than hold the
PC session during one of the fascinating 11 parallel sessions on
photonic wireless switched router XML-based management at
IEEE Infocom in Barcelona, Spain, where the spanish is spoken by less people anyhow
and you can't get such a good marguerita.

So I am looking for two things
1/ people that are going to be in Pisa for the conference, and ae interested in offering OO
talks, please contact me - my e-mail address  is used by many people I havnt met before, offering
interesting items and services, so don't be shy.

2/ As a modest example of an OO talk topic, I have prepared one on the topic dear to my heart
we would like to support our impoverished american cousins in their research by giving them an outlet
easier to attend in these days of restricted travel budget, hence I would like to seek interest in a SIGCXOMM North American Workshop
This would follow hot on the heals of the Latin American workshop, but  would not require anyone getting a visa, or even passport,
or learning Latin of course. Perhaps this could be useful for FIND projects...

thank you for your interest, and, of course,  in the words of that fine Californian Governator, "Pasta la vista, baby".

ciao

Gianni