[e2e] fast restoration/protection

Alia Atlas akatlas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:25:49 PDT 2006

On 6/15/06, Craig Partridge <craig at aland.bbn.com> wrote:

> Hi Oliver:
>
> I think you misunderstand the tenor of my note.
>
> Regarding FIBS, my proposal was to compute multiple FIBs (not preserve
> old ones) as routing updates came in, based on a history of the kinds
> of outages that had occurred (e.g. which links seemed to fail most
> often).  Then test (using outage information) how well the computed
> backup FIBs would have done.  Pure research question of whether keeping
> a limited set of FIBs around as backups (in the optimal case -- not
> storing old ones but computing new ones) would work.

There was a research paper out of Germany that discussed how many
different topologies needed to be computed & concluded that the number
was substantially smaller than one might expect.  Olivier may recall
the reference; I don't have it to hand.  One of the issues was
identifying which FIB to use for a particular packet.

Alia