[e2e] new network architecture idea -

Christian Huitema huitema at windows.microsoft.com
Sun May 21 21:20:45 PDT 2006

> When things go wrong (black holes, DDoS, ..., even spam and the
> blogosphere) is when activities are "sender driven" without regard for
> the wishes or needs of the receivers.

You can definitely accomplish a receiver driven DDOS. Assume a large
band of zombies, and instruct them to all receive a large set of large
pages from the target server. Pretty soon, the server's sending capacity
will be saturated. Voila, receiver driven DDOS.

In Jon's proposal, the principle that prevent's DOS is swarming.
Swarming allows the data to be served from any valid copy, not just the
initial publisher. In my example, if swarming worked, each zombie will
become a potential surrogate for the server, and the server's resource
would remain available. I suspect however that the zombies may try to
not fully cooperate with the swarming...

-- Christian Huitema