[e2e] Small packets - Definition needed..

Dah Ming Chiu dmchiu at ie.cuhk.edu.hk
Tue Mar 27 02:34:38 PDT 2007

A natural reason for discussing "small" vs "large" packets is concerned
with the packet header overhead, as several people suggested.  For
example, when the header size is smaller than certain percentage of
the total packet size, you can ignore the overhead in your engineering
considerations.

Arjuna's problems, as stated in his latest email, are different.

In the case of "Draft 1", you can avoid the problem by simply
rephrasing the sentence to:
"TFRC-SP is intended for flows that send packets no larger than
1500 bytes with inter-packet intervals no smaller than 10 ms".
The "small" here is something quite arbitrary due to the specific
design of TFRC-SP that when satisfied makes TFRC-SP work
better than TFRC.

In the case of  "Draft 2", you can avoid the problem by simply
replacing the word "small packets" by "packets no smaller than
1095 bytes".  In other words, you don't need to define "small".

If you are trying to justify "1095 bytes", it will not be easy, and
you will not get people to agree. You could have picked 1500
or 800, I doubt there is a big difference. It is just an engineering
constant.  Why do we need such an engineering constant?
It is like the problem of how loud are we allowed to talk in a
public place with other people around. In most civilized places,
it is rude to talk too loud.  Since network protocols codify the
level of "rudeness" into programs, you get to pick these numbers.
Of course you will not get concensus on what level of rudeness
is appropriate.  Whether this (IETF policying it) works or not, and
how you may want to accommodate different people under
different circumstances, is a different debate, which has been
played out on this list many times in the past.

Dah Ming Chiu
CUHK