[e2e] moderation criteria awareness?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sun May 6 20:52:01 PDT 2007

David (et al.),

As one whose posts have matched filter rules before, I am surprised to
see this incident raise the issue.

David P. Reed wrote:
> Can anyone decode "the message headers matched a filter rule" that was
> applied in this case?

There are a variety of filters used on this list to support the list
policies, noted on the www.postel.org/e2e.htm site that describes this list.

Further comments below...

Computers can; Mailman, as installed, does not. There are a variety of
reasons this could be the case, but you should contact the Mailman
developers to answer that one.

> It would be nice to know why one's posts are rejected, perhaps lessening
> one's paranoia...

Held != rejected; this message was held for approval, and you'll note it
was approved.

If you want to know why a message is held (or rejected) in general,
please view our website with our list posting policy; that's good advice
for any list, prior to posting anyway. As to why an particular item
matched our filter rules, they are not perfect and are designed to err
on the side of false positives which are merely held for review.

> It's an "end to end" protocol issue when mail is not delivered to the
> endpoints named in the message, and instead stopped by an
> incomprehensible middlebox.

If you want to know more about this list, please read the information
that is available on our website; any search engine would suffice, or
use the link above.

If you have issue with the software, Mailman is open source and accepts
contributions.

Joe (as list admin)