[e2e] a means to an end

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Dec 1 10:08:20 PST 2008

In message <49342367.7070503 at reed.com>, "David P. Reed" writes:

>So define "well defined place in the network" as YOU define it.

A stable object name that can reliably be translated to an address in a
communications graph.

Explaining a bit (since we seem to have an impedance mismatch):

    * stable object name -- it is a name that has longevity -- it isn't
      a temporary name created for 5 minutes on-line.

    * reliably translated to an address -- the address of the object
      can change but the object always exists -- you can address it (I'm being
      careful here to permit intermittent connectivity ala DTN --
      what I'm saying is you can address the object and send it a request,
      that doesn't mean you can communicate with it in real-time).

    * communications graph -- I'd like a better term (as graphs
      model nodes and edges, which for wireless isn't the abstraction
      I want) but the point is that the combination of RF/wires/fiber/nodes
      that make up our communications networks are reasonably independent
      of geography. (I can have a subnet spanning continents.)

Note there's some clumsiness here -- I originally used "node" and then
chose "object".  Neither word is quite right.  I hope the broad point is
clear.

Thanks!

Craig