[e2e] a means to an end

Ali Ghodsi ali at sics.se
Fri Nov 7 00:52:31 PST 2008

Michael Welzl wrote:
> Location dependance, which even the "id" part should
> have (at least in the form of some concept of "nearness").

Sorry, not sure I understand. Do you mean that DHTs have strong
connectivity requirements (e.g. nodes should be able to communicate with
their direct successors on the ring etc)? In that case, there are DHTs
which relax these requirements, e.g. small-world DHTs (Oscar, Symphony)
and those that don't have a ring or lattice (P-grid, FuzzyNets, Kelips).
Or do you mean that DHTs do not route efficiently because they ignore
latencies (what's called stretch, or proximity awareness, or locality by
the DHT folks). Or perhaps neither :).

Regards,
Ali