[e2e] a means to an end

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Fri Nov 7 03:43:39 PST 2008

I think we may be in a place and time where new protocols are not such
a good idea.

for instance, why can't the DHT simply be applied as a URI into a
(local) webserver, discovered on the local link, and then replied to
in suitable form eg as XML?

or REST or something?

yes, it could be 'do it in DNS' but just because we say 'no, not
again' doesn't mean inventing proto direct on IP. And, the same for
BGP. Please, no more heroic programmers. Good mathematicians, maybe.

Not to be an entire layering/IP heretic, but, perhaps, this is more
about managing an information space and
the MAPPING than it is about designing a protocol, be it connection/
connectionless

-G