[e2e] POV

bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Nov 13 08:44:44 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:41:36AM -0800, Joe Touch wrote:

> Hi, Bill,
>
> bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> >
> > isn't location defined by a set of coordinates?
>
> Sure. Potentially by a region expressed as a set of coordinates.

	good... then we have a starting point for divergence. :)

> > and they have to be found somewhere (e.g. stored)?
>
> Not necessarily the way you might expect. The information of where my
> stapler is located on my desk is stored only in the stapler itself; it
> isn't represented in other storage.

	actually, i posit that it is.  on the presumption of a shared
	coordinate space, the stapler is internally consistant (assuming
	no acceleration or vector for the stapler for the nonce) and you
	are correct in that the coordinate set is unique to the stapler.

	however, the coordinate space is only useful to third parties.  i.e.
	where you (and we will leave as an exercise to the reader what & where
	define "you") are -in relation- to the stapler coordinates.

	"... move the hand 210degress down, 18cm, at 3.5cm/sec until hand reaches
	33 59 8.376 N 118 26 48.156 W 200m at zero acceleration..."  then take
	what ever you find there. (should be the stapler, right?)