[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Sun Nov 1 10:16:20 PST 2009

David P. Reed wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 05:46 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:
>> the fact that IP is a very thin abstraction of the Ethernet layer 2
>> and that TCP is a vehicle for resolving problems that are typical of
>> the CSMA/CD Ethernet environment
> This statement is nonsense. IP is not a very thin abstraction of
> Ethernet layer 2.  IP is carried over many protocols other than the
> Ethernet. TCP is an end-to-end protocol for in-order virtual circuit
> data delivery, designed to work over IP, and to handle problems that
> have nothing to do with CSMA/CD.

Dave Reed is right, of course. Richard Bennett's declarative statement
is so far into an alternate universe from the real world that one has to
suspect he is baiting the list.  Dave used the word "nonsense" ... it
seems to me to be difficult to deny the rightness of that word choice.

Bob Braden