[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

rick jones perfgeek at mac.com
Sun Nov 1 13:57:17 PST 2009

On Nov 1, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:
> Regarding Jon's comment on the rebirth of CSMA at the edge, there is
> some ironic truth to it, but Wi-Fi's not the same style as CSMA/CD
> because with 802.11n we have a selectively acknowledged windowing
> protocol, much more efficient than TCP where you have to discard
> everything after a dropped packet and do it again.

My history with TCP stacks does not go back "to the
beginning" (whatever that might actually be), and I did not start in
the "PC" space so perhaps my life was charmed, but going back to 1988
I'd not encountered any TCP where that was the case.

rick jones
there is no rest for the wicked, yet the virtuous have no pillows