[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Thu Nov 12 15:10:27 PST 2009

Detlef, I'm asking you to think abstractly about certain problems in the
design of distributed systems. I regard many of the interpretations and
applications of end-to-end notions to network management and regulation
as flawed, regardless of the intent of any of the authors of any
particular paper decades ago, or even to their subsequent refinement by
the original authors or others.

One the problems that arises in distributed systems is access to shared
resources, and the end-to-end solution to this problem is deeply flawed.
In order to share resources according to a policy, there needs to be a
system element enforcing the policy. In network operations, this
function is indispensable and must be part of the network
infrastructure. There are many reasons for this, of course, but the
chief ones are a) the lack of reliability and trust in end systems; and
b) the lack of information about system demand on the part of the end
system, which in principle only knows that it wants  and not what anyone
else wants to do on the shared resource.

The idea that access to shared resources is best accomplished by
uncoordinated end systems leads to a lot of grief.

What does this have to do with Jacobson's Algorithm? A lot, it turns
out, as we see in the rise of systems that take the job of congestion
mediation a couple of steps further, such as ECN and Re-ECN. If you
recognize that information about the state of shared resources is
essential to their rational management, no problem.

Of course, all of this is simply to say that optimal solutions to
problems of resource management can only be made close to the resource
in question, but it doesn't address a later version of the end-to-end
arguments principle, that sub-optimal solutions (from an efficiency of
fair-sharing perspective) to such problems may be preferred if they lead
to greater system generality, opportunities for innovation, free speech,
reliability, or some other reason.

I hear this sort of argument being made very frequently these days, and
it does have some resonance. Efficiency is after all a short-term goal,
while generality is a long-term goal and innovation is a positive
externality. But to appreciate that, one needs to think a bit abstractly.

RB

--
Richard Bennett
Research Fellow